File Renamer is a simple batch file renaming utility.
To rename files:
- Navigate to the directory containing the files that you want to rename
- Select the files you wish to rename (to select them all you can right click over the file list and choose ‘Select All’ from the context menu).
- To remove text from a file name type the text that you wish to remove in the ‘old’ field and then click ‘Add’.
- To replace text within a file name type the original text that you wish to change in the ‘old’ field and then type the text that you wish to replace it with in the ‘New’ field and then click ‘Add’.
- Any combination of these can be added to the list of actions to be carried out.
- These actions are carried out in the order that you added them and so complex renaming tasks can be created:
- You gave a group of files that are prefixed ‘xxx -’ and contain the word ‘dog’.
- You wish to remove the prefix from every file and replace the word ‘dog’ with ‘cat’
- To rename the files you would add a task to remove ‘xxx -’ by typing ‘xxx -’ into the ‘Old’ field and then clicking ‘Add’
- You would then type ‘dog’ into the ‘Old’ field and ‘cat’ into the ‘New’ field.
- Click ‘Rename’ and the files will be renamed as required.
This application requires the .NET Framework 2.0 which can be downloaded here.